Instant Pot Applesauce Recipe – What’s amazing about this recipe is it takes about 5 minutes to cook and needs only 3 ingredients. Make your own homemade squeezable applesauce pouch for your kids.
Applesauce – The one thing most kids will lap up without complaining.
I usually buy applesauce pouches for my kids from the supermarket until I found one in my pantry which had gone bad..really bad.. think mold. And that was it – no more storebought applesauce for us. That meant my applesauce loving kids pestered me to make it at home.
Enter Instant Pot or any other pressure cooker of your choice.
Chop the apples and throw it in with water along with your choice of additives – spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg, lime juice, and something to make it sweet – raisins, or sugar (brown/white).
Before I get to the recipe, let’s look at the frequently asked question when it comes to making applesauce.
Q. What kind of apples are best for making applesauce?
If you like your applesauce to be tart with a hint of sweetness, go for McIntosh, Honeycrisp, or Ida red apples. Gala and Golden delicious would be a good choice if you prefer your applesauce all sweet and with a mild flavor.
Q. Can you leave the skin on apples for applesauce?
Absolutely, if you are using organic apples. If not, I would recommend you peel them as apples have been consistently making to the dirty dozen list.
Q. How do you stop apple from turning brown?
If you are making a large batch of applesauce, soak the apples in a bowl of cold water mixed with lime juice. For every one cup of water, add a tablespoon of lime juice. That should keep apples from oxidizing and browning.
Q. What is applesauce good for?
Babies and toddlers love them and it is a wonderful comfort food for grown-ups too. Put it in a squeezable pouch and pack it as a snack for kids.
Q. How do you make homemade Instant Pot applesauce?
For homemade applesauce, pressure cook apples with water and add a sweetener such as raisins (if desired).
The recipe below is pretty straightforward but there are quite a few ways you can vary them –
- Spices – Add a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Sweetener – Add brown sugar or natural sweeteners such as raisins.
- Liquid – Add apple juice or cider instead of water to enhance the flavor. A dash of lemon/ lime juice will prevent the apples from turning brown.
How to make homemade applesauce pouches?
It is super easy. Buy reusable food pouches from Amazon. They come in various sizes but I prefer the 5oz from WeeSprout. They are not only reusable but a breeze to clean. Fill them from the bottom and seal them. To clean, place them in the dishwasher – how easy is that :).
Recipe for Instant Pot applesauce
Instant Pot Applesauce
- 1 lb apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup water
- Add apples, raisins, and water into the steel insert of the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Slowly and carefully do a quick release.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the apple chunks along with the raisins and add them to a blender.
- Puree them to a fine consistency using the reserved water (as needed).
- I do not use an immersion blender so that I control the amount of water that goes into the applesauce.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
Loved the recipe? Please do leave a comment!