Have you caught on to the Instant Pot pressure cooker craze yet? If you are looking to buy, read my Instant Pot Pressure Cooker review to find out if you really need one.
*This post contains affiliate links
I am very familiar with that sentiment because during one such sale (Amazon Prime day) – I succumbed and bought the Instant Pot Duo for $69 odd dollars (what a steal that was!).
I finally had the much coveted Instant Pot on my kitchen island 🙂
As I read through the manual (highly recommended), I started to get the hang of it and realized that I could do wonders in the kitchen with this.
Instant Pot Duo – What can this appliance do?
Instant Pot is a smart Electric Pressure Cooker that speeds up cooking by 2~6 times using up to 70% less energy and, helps you make nutritious healthy food in a convenient and consistent fashion. Perfect for busy moms!
It not only functions as a pressure cooker but also as a slow cooker, rice cooker, steamer, sauté, yogurt maker & warmer.
For me, this means that I never have to use my slow cooker ever again!
Slow cooking vs Instant Pot cooking
Most Indian meals need sauteing or frying of ingredients before it can be slow cooked. I had to saute the ingredients on the stove first and then transfer it to the slow cooker.
But with Instant Pot – welcome to the world of one-pot meals! ( and goodbye slow cooker..)
Now you can make slow cooked rajma (kidney beans curry), chole ( chickpeas curry), dals (lentil curry), chicken curry, soups without switching utensils. And also, NOT wait around for the cooking to complete like the traditional pressure cookers.
All that is possible as there are 14 built-in smart programs (Soup, Meat/Stew, Bean/Chili, Poultry, Sauté, Steam, Rice, Porridge, Multigrain, Slow Cook, Keep-Warm, Yogurt, Pasteurize & Fermented rice) to cook your favorite dishes with the press of a button.
Other important features include
- Delayed cooking – A 24-hour timer allows for delayed cooking.
- Keep warm – Automatic keep-warm holds the temperature of the food until you serve it.
- Quiet operation – Instant Pot generates almost no noise and leaks no steam. I was waiting for the vent to go off and make noise. I heard nothing. Also,it traps all the aromas in the food without heating up the kitchen.
- Stainless steel – The 3-ply bottom stainless steel inner pot is extremely durable and leaves no health concerns of non-stick coating residual.
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker – Do you need one?
Instant Pot is right for you if…
- You like the set it and forget it feature i.e., unlike traditional cookers you don’t have to wait to switch off the gas after the vent goes off. The cycle completes and Instant pot goes into an auto warm mode.
- You like one-pot meals and prefer to saute, pressure cook and slow cook all in one pot which makes it ideal for Indian curries.
- You don’t have a lot of time to cook and clean (Not having to clean my stove every night – priceless!)
- Don’t like using non-stick materials – Instant Pot is stainless steel – easy to clean and you don’t have to worry about non-stick residual in your food.
Instant Pot is not right for you if…
- You are happy with the current setup – multiple traditional pressure cookers or whatever that may be.
- You don’t need the set it and forget it feature since you are around to switch off your stove when your traditional cooker is done cooking.
Which Instant Pot should you buy?
Confused on which model to buy? Read this article on which Instant Pot model to buy and what size.
Last piece of advice – If you are looking to buy a rice cooker, buy an Instant Pot during the Black Friday or the Christmas sale, it is a much better investment and you will soon realize that you got more than your money’s worth. Check out this article to get the latest scoop on Instant Pot deals this Thanksgiving.
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be of service and bring you content free of charge. To do this, some of the links on this post are affiliate links, which means that I may earn a commission (at no cost to you) if you click on the link or make a purchase using the link. I only recommend products that I use and love myself, so I know you’ll be in good hands. Your support in purchasing through these links goes towards maintaining this website. Thank you!