I was always fond of Kadle Manoli and it has been a favorite with everyone in my family so much that this dish has lent itself a permanent place in our Ugadi as well as Dassera meal.My mom used to make Kadle Manoli with black channa unlike the Kabuli channa I have used in this recipe. Interestingly both black channa and Kabul channa are called Kadle in Tulu. Anyways, once my mom-in-law made this recipe with Kabuli channa and I was sold big time and have always made it that way since then..Yummmyy..I like it so much that I don’t need anything to accompany it but it goes well with Rice and Curry.
Here is an interesting read about Tindora and as usual Wikipedia rocks!
Kadle Manoli (Chickpeas with Tindora)
- 1 cup Chickpeas / Kabuli channa [ Soak it overnight, and it should double up]
- 1/2 pound tendli / tindora / manoli cut lengthwise, cut into 2 or 4 pieces depending on the size
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 sprig of kadipatta, curry leaves
- 1/2 of medium sized onion, finely cut
- 2 tablespoons jaggery, crushed into powder
- 3 tablespoons Kundapur masala powder, See Note below the recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- Pressure cook chickpeas till they are 3/4th done. [ Takes my cooker around 3 whistles]
- Wait till the cooker cools down to open the lid. Add the cut tindora and pressure cook again. Switch off the gas just before the vent goes off. Drain off excess water using a colander.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pan over medium heat and add mustard seeds to it. When they start spluttering, add kadipatta along with urad dal. Let it fry for around 20 seconds and then add onions and fry them till they are translucent.
- Add grated coconut, mixed with chili powder, Kundapur masala powder, jaggery and turmeric powder to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the boiled chickpeas and tendli along with salt to the pan and mix well (Make sure to do it gently without squishing the tendli)
- Simmer it for 5 minutes and take it off heat and serve hot.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.