This Ugadi was special since I was able to take a day off to cook all the Mangalorean recipes that mom used to make during this festival..Kadle Suran being one of them. I was not fond of a lot of Mangalorean recipes growing up but Kadle Suran was different..it was the only Mangalorean style vegetable dish I relished, asked for seconds.. I didn’t like the Suran (Yam) so much but Kadle (channa or black chickpeas) I could eat and eat.. Interestingly, I am noticing that my daughter has the same taste.
Enjoy it hot with Rice and some curry.
Kadle Suran (Black Chickpeas with Yam)
- 1 cup black chickpeas / channa [ Soak it overnight and it should double up]
- 1 cup suran, yam, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 sprig of kadipatta, curry leaves
- 1/2 of medium sized onion, finely cut
- 2 tablespoon jaggery, crushed into powder
- 3 tablespoon Kundapur masala powder, See Note
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- Pressure cook chickpeas till they are 3/4th done[ Takes my cooker around 3 whistles]
- Wait till the cooker cools down to open the lid. Add the cut yam and pressure cook again. Switch off the gas just before the vent goes off.Drain off excess water using a colander.
- Heat the oil in a medium sized pan over medium heat and add mustard seeds to it. When they start spluttering add kadipatta along with urad dal. Let it fry for around 20 seconds and then add onions and fry them till they are translucent.
- Add grated coconut,mixed with chili powder,Mangalorean curry powder, jaggery and turmeric powder to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the boiled chickpeas and suran along with salt to the pan and mix well (Make sure to do it gently without squishing the suran)
- Simmer it for 5 minutes and take it off heat and serve hot.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.