Kesar pista smoothie is one of a kind – it combines saffron (kesar), pistachios (pista), with banana, cardamom, and milk to create a delicious and nutrient-rich drink that’s perfect for kids and as a post-workout drink.
We have smoothies like every morning. While my kids love it most days, I knew they were getting to a point where they were getting bored of the usual combinations I was offering. So to change it up a bit, I decided to create new smoothie flavors based on popular Indian ice-cream flavors.
That’s how the idea of kesar pista smoothie was born.
Kesar (saffron) and pista (pistachios) have been successfully combined with milk a million times. If you grew up in India, you probably have had kesar and pista in your milk, kulfi, milkshake, shrikhand.. even as a garnish in your sweets.
That’s why I decided to include kesar and pista as add-ons to my banana smoothie. It seemed like an ingenious idea and when combined with cardamom powder and a tad bit of sugar, it felt more like a dessert than a nutrition-dense smoothie.
Is kesar pista smoothie good for you?
Kesar imparts a beautiful orange hue when combined with water or milk and is often used for coloring dishes. It is also very fragrant and a small quantity goes a long way. It also provides a myriad of health benefits that make it popular with expectant moms. Pistachios are considered rich in protein and low in fat. Together when they are combined in milk, they create a gorgeous looking, nutrient-rich drink that is perfect for growing kids, pregnant moms and post workout.
How to make kesar pista smoothie?
You must be wondering isn’t this a milkshake recipe? No, my friend the key difference between milkshake and smoothie is that milkshakes are supposed to have ice-cream whereas smoothies are fruit based.
Looking for more smoothie ideas that your family will love? Here are my top picks –
- Chickoo (sapota) smoothie – This nutritious blended drink made from Date and Chikoo (Sapota) is a great treat for any time of the day – be it an after-school snack or a post-workout drink.
- Apple smoothie is a delicious way to start your day with the goodness of milk and apples and with no added sugar. It is ready in less than 5 minutes – now you have no reason to skip breakfast.
- Papaya Mango Smoothie – This smoothie is loaded with vitamins and antioxidants and is the perfect way to start your day or recharge your body after an intense workout.
- Banana Nutella Smoothie – Your kids will love this delicious Banana Nutella Smoothie Recipe – a healthy-ish drink made from bananas and milk with a hint of Nutella and hot cocoa.
- Healthy Chocolate Banana Smoothie – Learn to make a creamy and nutritious chocolate banana smoothie with just 6 ingredients and 5 minutes! This delicious chocolate smoothie packs in all the flavor of a milkshake with far fewer calories!
Got a new Instant Pot? Check out the links below to make the most of your pressure cooker -
Kesar Pista (Saffron and Pistachio) Smoothie
- a pinch of saffron, kesar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- ¼ cup pistachios
- 1 banana, medium sized
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds, ground to a fine powder
- 2 cups milk
- 3 teaspoon sugar
- Soak saffron in 2 tablespoons of warm water for about 5 minutes. Add the soaked saffron along with the water and rest of the ingredients into the blender.
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender until the smoothie is of a consistency that you desire. Alternatively, if you are using the Blendtec blender, run the smoothie cycle.
- Serve immediately.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.