Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kesar pista or pistachio smoothie is one of a kind – it combines saffron (kesar) and pistachios (pista) with banana, cardamom, and milk to create a delicious and nutrient-rich drink that’s perfect for kids and as a post-workout drink.
Looking for a breakfast option that’s both quick and nutritious? Try this pistachio banana smoothie.
Just blend ripe bananas with pistachios, saffron, milk, and your preferred sweetener. The result is a wholesome and satisfying breakfast that provides the energy you need to kickstart your day. It’s a balanced meal that tastes like a treat.
About this pistachio banana smoothie recipe
Kesar (saffron) and pista (pistachios) have been successfully combined with milk a million times. If you grew up in India, you probably have had saffron and pistachios in your milk, kulfi, milkshake, shrikhand.. even as a garnish in your sweets.
That’s why I decided to include kesar and pista as add-ons to this simple banana smoothie. It seemed like an ingenious idea, and when combined with cardamom powder and a tad bit of sugar, it felt more like a dessert than a nutrition-dense smoothie.
Is kesar pista smoothie good for you?
The combination of pistachios and saffron in your banana smoothie not only enhances its flavor but also provides several health benefits.
Pistachios are rich in healthy fats, fiber, and various essential vitamins and minerals, making them a nutritious addition. They can contribute to heart health, weight management, and improved digestion.
Saffron (kesar) is known for its antioxidant properties, reducing blood pressure, and potential mood-enhancing effects. Kesar also imparts a beautiful orange hue when soaked in water or milk. It is also very fragrant, and a small quantity goes a long way.
Together with the cardamom powder and a touch of sugar, both these ingredients create a delicious and nutritious smoothie that is perfect for growing kids, pregnant moms, and post-workout.
How to make kesar pista smoothie?
- Saffron (kesar) – for the lovely color imparts and for its health benefits.
- Warm water to soak the saffron to extract the color/flavor
- Pistachios, shelled and chopped.
- Bananas (fresh or frozen) – Use a frozen banana for a thick and creamy texture. Chop ripe bananas overnight and freeze the banana slices for at least 6-8 hours before using.
- Cardamom seeds or cardamom powder
- Whole milk – You can also use non-dairy milk such as almond milk or oat milk, instead of regular milk.
- Sweeteners – This recipe uses sugar, but you can use honey or any other sweetener of your choice.
The blender I recommend
This blender is not only great for smoothies but also makes fine purees and spice powders.
How to prep ahead
To prep ahead, chop the bananas, place them in a freezer-safe bag, and freeze. Remove it from the freezer just before making the smoothie – no need to thaw.
If you find your smoothie too thick, you can add a little more milk to reach your desired consistency. Alternatively, if you prefer a thicker smoothie, try reducing the amount of milk and adding more bananas.
Most smoothies taste best when consumed freshly made, but you can prepare this pistachio smoothie up to 1-2 days in advance.
Replace regular milk with plant-based milk such as almond milk or oat milk.
Tips and Tricks
- Use a high-powered blender like Blendtec or Vitamix for best results. You may have to run the smoothie cycle twice to get a chunk-free smoothie.
- Don’t toss those overripe bananas. Peel and chop them and put them in the freezer. Use it in this smoothie without thawing. Frozen bananas, when added to a smoothie, help make it thick and creamy.
Enjoying a pistachio smoothie is a great way to treat your taste buds while also improving your daily nutrition by incorporating healthy fats. So grab your blender, gather your ingredients, and blend up this delicious smoothie!
Pistachio banana (kesar pista) smoothie
- a pinch of saffron kesar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups whole milk or oat / almond milk
- ¼ cup pistachios shelled
- 1 ripe bananas chopped (fresh or frozen)
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds ground to a fine powder
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- Soak saffron in 2 tablespoons of warm water for about 5 minutes. Add the soaked saffron along with the water and rest of the ingredients into the blender.
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender until the smoothie is of a consistency that you desire.
- Serve immediately.
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.
- Mango pistachio smoothie – You can substitute bananas with 1 cup of chopped mangos.
- Other nuts – In addition to pistachios, add a tablespoon of chopped almonds or cashews to this recipe.
- Pistachio milkshake – Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to turn it into a creamy milkshake.
- For a vegan option – Replace regular milk with plant-based milk such as almond milk or oat milk.
Serve this pistachio smoothie in a mason jar or a tall glass topped with ground cardamon and finely chopped pistachios.
Pour the leftover smoothie into popsicle molds and freeze. Makes for a delicious frozen treat during summer.
How to store
Refrigerator: Smoothies taste best when freshly made. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to two days. Stir well before serving.
Freezer: You can freeze this pistachio banana smoothie in freezer-safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Other delicious recipes worth checking out
Looking for more smoothie ideas that your family will love? Here are my top picks –
Need more smoothie recipes? Check out this list of 10+ fruit smoothie recipes for when you need fresh ideas to keep your smoothie-drinking routine interesting.
This post was originally published on 12/26/2017 and was completely updated with pictures and new text on 9/16/2023.