Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe for Mangalorean style baked chicken is a unique spin on the classic baked chicken with a spicy kick of Kundapur masala powder. The best part – it is ready in 30 minutes!
Sundays are usually crazy for us because we sleep late on Saturday night and then we need to get out of the house early Sunday afternoon for Twisha’s guitar classes. That means in a span of 3 hours – we need to get two kids to take a shower, eat their breakfast and lunch and that includes the time we have to make breakfast and lunch. Most of the time, I make Idlis and Kori-Gassi ( Mangalorean style chicken curry) because they can be made quickly and the kids love it and also because that’s what I grew up eating. But last Sunday, I was feeling particularly adventurous and wanted to make Chicken Ghee Roast and realized, I didn’t have the time to prep for it. So, I decided to do something creative – marinated the chicken with the same spices used for Chicken Ghee Roast and baked them with a tad bit of ghee to recreate Chicken Ghee Roast in a baked form.
While I have made Tandoori Chicken in the past in the oven, I did not have much success with baked chicken so I followed this technique from the kitchn website to get a perfectly moist Mangalorean style baked chicken.
Mangalorean style baked chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon of ghee
- Preheat the over to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the chicken into pieces of the desired size and set aside.
- Make the marinade by mixing all the ingredients listed in the marinade section. Add the chicken to the marinade and let it marinate for a couple of hours in the refrigerator (optional).
- Arrange the chicken in the baking dish and add the melted ghee on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the internal chicken temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Thighs cook pretty quickly. If they are not done, put it back in the oven and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and cover it with a foil and let it rest for 10 minutes. Serve hot with Rice or Roti.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.