Ever wonder how Indian restaurants get those rich looking gravies? You probably already know about the simpler Aloo Mutter gravy, but how about that thick looking Matar Mushroom gravy (by the way, Matar stands for Peas in Hindi) that goes so well with Roti or Naan? Well here’s the secret – add cashew paste after the onions are fried and right before the addition of tomatoes. The cashew paste adds flavor to the Matar Mushroom gravy and kicks it up a notch.
Next time you visit the restaurant and are served a less than stellar Matar Mushroom Gravy, ahem – let the waiter know you have a few tips to share with the chef. Enjoy and let me know if this worked for you.Print
- 1/4 cup unsalted cashews + 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup peas + 1 cup water
- 2 cups mushroom, washed and chopped into thin slices
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, pureed (~ 1-1/2 cup of puree)
- 1 green chilly, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander (dhania) powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- Soak the cashews in 1/2 cup boiling water and set aside.
- Soak peas in 1 cup of water and microwave them for 6-8 minutes until they are cooked.
- Heat oil in a kadhai or wok over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute them till they have reduced in size and start oozing out water (~8-10 minutes). Transfer the mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion slices and fry them till they soften (approximately 10-12 minutes). Add garlic cloves and ginger and fry them for a minute or two.
- While the onions are frying, grind the cashews and green chilly to a fine paste.
- Add the ground paste to the onions (once the onions are done) and fry them for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, salt, garam masala, coriander, sugar,cumin powder and chilly powder and mix well. Continue to cook for another 10-12 minutes till the tomatoes get mushy and oil starts to surface.
- Add the mushroom and peas back to the wok and cover the wok and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve it with hot with roti or rice