Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Love meal prepping but hate using single-use plastic bags? I have a few solutions for you that are good for you as well as environment-friendly.
There are two things you need to be successful at meal prepping – a meal plan and the right-sized storage containers to store all the food.
To be honest, plastic bags seem perfect for the job – they come in a variety of sizes, are freezer safe, and are extremely affordable.
The unfortunate part is most of them are single-use and not bio-degradable.
Don’t worry, there are other eco-friendly and sustainable alternatives to single-use plastic, and this post lists them all below.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some of the links here are affiliate links, which means that I may earn a commission if you click on the link or make a purchase using the link. I only recommend products that I use and love myself, so I know you’ll be in good hands.
I bought these containers after a lot of research, and having used these silicone and glass meal prep containers for a year, I feel confident recommending them.
Here’s why I like them –
- They are durable and will last a long time to come.
- Freezer safe.
- BPA- Free
- Easy to use and clean.
Here are my go-to food prep containers from Amazon
- Pyrex Containers – Before you go shopping, look for glass containers that you already have at home. Most, if not all, glass Tupperware containers are freezer-safe and pre-heated oven-safe. Also, they come in all sizes and shapes to match your needs.
Uses: I love using these 1-cup and 2-cup glass containers for storing curry sauces.
- Stasher Bags – Made from pure platinum silicone, these plastic and BPA-free bags are safe for use in the freezer, microwave, dishwasher, boiling water, and oven up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Zip Top bags – Made with 100% platinum silicone, these BPA-free bags are microwave, dishwasher, and freezer safe.
- Reusable storage bags – These reusable bags made from food-grade PEVA are BPA-free. These budget-friendly bags cannot be used in the dishwasher, oven, or microwave.
Uses: These are the first set of reusable bags I bought. I still use them to store and freeze chopped cabbage and other veggies.
- Glass meal prep containers – These food-grade safe, BPA-free glass containers are easy to use and clean. They are freezer safe; you can put them in the microwave, dishwasher, and oven without the lids.
Uses: My meal prep process involves mostly chopping veggies and making base sauces, but if you make complete meals, then these glass containers can come in handy to portion out meals.
Some of these meal-prepping storage containers are expensive but think of them as an investment. They not only save you money by preventing food wastage, but they are environment-friendly too.
Also, you don’t have to buy all of them at once. I bought them over a period of one year as I got more serious about meal prepping.
Essential meal prep kitchen gadgets – Want to get meal prep done in less time? Check out this list of meal prep gadgets and tools you should have in your kitchen to make meal prep easier and quicker.
Meal planning 101 – Check out this essential guide to meal planning to learn all the tips that’ll take the stress out of making home-cooked meals.
Basic grocery list – Learn how to create a master grocery list, track your pantry items, and never forget to buy a staple again!