Simple and spectacular! That is what I call this subzi. Not only does it taste good but it is very simple to make. Usually I make cabbage with mustard seeds,onions and curry leaves and garnish it with coconut – the typical mangalorean way. But I had some cut tomatoes so I tried experimenting and it turned out to be so good that this has become my favorite way of making cabbage!.. Goes well with dal and rice or you could eat it with roti.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Ready in 30 minutes
PER SERVING: 58.5 calories; Calories from Fat: 33; Total Fat: 3.75g; Saturated Fat: 0.54g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 302.29mg; Potassium: 210.45mg; Total Carbs: 6.18g; Fiber: 2.07g; Sugar: 3.04g;Protein: 1.23g
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 of a medium onion finely cut
- 1/2 head of cabbage cut into small pieces or shredded via food processor
- 1 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder (chilli powder)
- Heat oil in a pan and add jeera to it. When the jeera starts to brown add onions and fry till they are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and fry them till they get mushy (after 3-4 minutes)
- Add the cut cabbage,salt,turmeric and cayenne/chilli powder and mix well.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally and it is done.