Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
During the hot summer months in India, after playing for hours in the sun, I would always look forward to a glass of cold Kissan Squash. I have been wanting to try my hand at making squash at home ever since the temperatures started to soar here and found the perfect opportunity when I noticed we had a lot of leftover pineapple slices in the refrigerator. They weren’t very sweet and kinda bland, so there weren’t being consumed so I decided to turn them into squash before they went bad. When I looked for recipes on the internet, they needed pineapple essence, citric acid, sodium benzoate – not ingredients that one would typically have at home. So I decided to skip all of them and go with only two ingredients – pineapple and sugar and much to my delight, that was all I needed to make Pineapple Squash. The best thing about this recipe is if you let the squash mixture thicken further, you can make Pineapple spread or jam out of it – which is what I did!
- 3 cups of pineapple chunks or 2 cups of pineapple juice
- 1 -1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- If using pineapple chunks, either puree and strain them to get the juice out or use a juicer.
- Bring pineapple juice, water and sugar to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-heat. Cook this mixture until thickened and becomes a sticky syrup (~15 minutes). Wait for a one-string formation if you would like to proceed with making pineapple spread.
- Switch off the gas and let the mixture cool completely before storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To make squash - use 1 to 2 tablespoons of this spread and mix it with cold water.
- Note : One string consistency – Put a drop of the sugar syrup on a plate. Touch it with your index finger and place your thumb under the index finger touching it.Now, when you pull them apart a single string should form.
Disclosure: This recipe contains affiliate links to products we love and recommend. As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.