Note: This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This shrimp curry takes all of 30 minutes to make! It is creamy and delicious and pairs with both rice and roti.
Some dishes you set out to make and some you just stumble upon. This is one such recipe. I was trying to make Shrimp Biryani and was getting the gravy ready to reduce before I combined it with the rice.
Meanwhile, I call my husband to do a quick taste test to see if the spice levels are okay and he gives his thumbs up and says to me – how about we not combine it with rice and serve it with Roti or Rice on the side.
I can tell he is REALLY hungry since he does not have the patience to wait 😉 but I think it is a good idea and I take it…. because I had not made Shrimp curry any other style other than Mangalorean (Shrimp / Prawn Gassi) before and also it turned out to be so yummy that I too couldn’t wait to get started!
Shrimp curry / Prawn curry
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 6-8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium sized onions finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 green chilies slit lengthwise
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 lb shrimp/prawns peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoon yogurt
- ¼ cup coconut milk optional
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- cilantro for garnishing
- salt as needed
- In a medium-sized kadhai or wok add 2 tablespoons of oil and keep it on medium heat.
- Add peppers, cloves and bay leaves and when they sizzle (after 10-15 seconds) add onions and garlic. Fry them till the onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and continue frying till they turn mushy.
- Add the green chilies, red chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, and shrimp/prawns and mix well.
- Whisk the yogurt well and mix it with the coconut milk (if you are using it) and add it to the kadhai/wok.
- Continue to keep it on medium heat till the shrimp/prawns are done.
- Add garam masala and mix well.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice or Rotis.
Disclaimer: Approximate nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.