Some dishes you set out to make and some you just stumble upon. This is one such recipe. I was trying to make Shrimp Biryani and was getting the gravy ready to reduce before I combine with the rice. Meanwhile, I call my husband to do a quick taste test to see if the spice levels are okay and he gives his thumbs up and says to me – how about we not combine it with rice and serve it with Roti or Rice on the side. I can tell he is REALLY hungry since he does not have the patience to wait 😉 but I think it is a good idea and I take it…. because I had not made Shrimp curry any other style other than Mangalorean (Shrimp / Prawn Gassi) before and also it turned out to be sooo yummy that I too couldn’t wait to get started!
Shrimp curry / Prawn curry
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-5 whole cloves
- 6-8 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 green chilies , slit lengthwise
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 lb shrimp/prawns , peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoon yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk, optional
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- cilantro, for garnishing
- salt, as needed
- In a medium-sized kadhai or wok add 2 tablespoons of oil and keep it on medium heat.
- Add peppers, cloves and bay leaves and when they sizzle (after 10-15 seconds) add onions and garlic. Fry them till the onions turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and continue frying till they turn mushy.
- Add the green chilies, red chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, and shrimp/prawns and mix well.
- Whisk the yogurt well and mix it with the coconut milk (if you are using it) and add it to the kadhai/wok.
- Continue to keep it on medium heat till the shrimp/prawns are done.
- Add garam masala and mix well.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve hot with Rice or Rotis.
Disclaimer: Approximate Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and can vary depending on the exact ingredients/brands used. If you have health issues, please work with a registered dietician or nutritionist.